Re: Head-Spaced Baffle Rig (was mkh-8020

Subject: Re: Head-Spaced Baffle Rig (was mkh-8020
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:54 am ((PST))
At 10:14 AM -0800 1/10/08, Aaron Ximm wrote:

>...I actually keep my eyes peeled for a used jecklin style disk (or
>similar) on
>places like Taperssection, every once in a while one pops up; I'm ashamed =
>admit I don't have the bandwidth (or chops) to fabricate one myself at the
>moment... and then find a stereo bar for mounting all three pieces. :)

One beauty of Curt's rigs is how simple they are to fabricate. All
you need to test the head-spaced array for your mkh800's are two 4" X
4" squares of any flat stock that is fairly stiff (even 1/4" thick
foam core) and a ~5" long block of wood to use as a separator. Glue
it  all together. Strap the mics on with cable ties. Face both
capsule straight forward. The design does not use a sound absorbing
surface like most Jecklins.  There is also a mild "boundary effect"
along with the off-side abatement or barrier/baffle function.  Hard
to say that the rig is a pure form of any one, standard.

>Shoot, I just realized I should have come by for a visit when we were in M=
KE
>over xmas... though the weather wasn't so partial to a night in the field.
>:) But I do love the slushy waves down on the lake michigan...

That would have been a treat. Fortunately for me, I've moved to
rural, LaFarge, Wisconsin. No big lake but big and middle-sized
rivers nearby and many other natural alternatives. We'll get
together, somehow.

>Another approach I want to try is very widely spaced A-B omni, I was talki=
ng
>about this with Andrew Roth and he is a big fan... he also told me has don=
>a fair amount of recording with spaced tripods without any wind shielding
>when the conditions were good, which was inspiring to hear is possible wit=
>persistence... :)

The surround rigs that Rich Peet and I first explored together and
later apart tried spacing from 4' to 180'.  Great for an array that
one can set-up and play with for days. However, the issues/solutions
created beyond 8' of spread seem to be location-specific. I was
thinking you were addressing something portable with mkh800's or
smaller, 8020s.

>  I thought about taking kit to do this on my trip in
>November to Venice, but in the end couldn't bring myself to lug two tripod=
>on a plane -- or to make my wife stand [silent] guard on one tripod in St
>Mark's Square... ;D

I encourage you to try the rig. ~9" across with wind protection is
workable for a hand-held rig. The block does not seem to need
shock-mounting-- go figure.  I'll do and share a comparison test
sometime, but to my ears, the head-spaced baffle/barrier design has
better depth and near center localization than M-S. The NT2000's have
7dB noise and omnis are hard to beat for "reach." Rob D.