Re: [Nature Recordists] R=D8DE NT55's (was mkh-8020)

Subject: Re: [Nature Recordists] R=D8DE NT55's (was mkh-8020)
From: "Romilly Hambling" oldgreybird
Date: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:33 am ((PST))
Thanks for pointing to that link, Rob. I'd just add that there are
also samples for the NT55 cardioid capsule -- on another page that's
now properly linked.

We're very pleased with the mics we've tried -- NT1-A, NT55 and AT
3032 -- and along with the TLM 103 they make a very fair job of
representing both Corinne's voice and the piano. In fact with our
listening gear, which isn't the best, we find it difficult to detect
much difference between the cheaper mics and the Neumann, and as a
trained musician Corinne's got a pretty critical ear. The only thing
I've noticed is that the NT55 seems to have the least gain of all of
them and samples have to be amplified for comparative listening. This
is despite the fact that during recording the level meters on the
four-channel recorder were constantly monitored and adjusted. This
might be a disadvantage recording outside in very quiet conditions
where a lot of gain is usable. The NT1-As are excellent in that
respect. I was amazed one night to be able to pick up an owl on the
nest almost as clearly and loudly with them as with the Telinga dish
that was also trained on her, both from 40-50 feet away.

What I'd like to know is how people think the NT55 and AT3032 omnis
stack up against the MKH 20. My omnis are really MKH 20 substitutes as
that's my dream mic but I can't justify (afford) the cost of course! I
rented a pair one week for our music sessions (some may remember), and
one spare day we rushed around our little patch of english countryside
to see how they fared with the birds. Near a pond I jumped out of the
car, waved the mics around at a moorhen and thrush plus others and
bagged a recording that I think has a quality superior to anything
else I've got. A sort of sweet, floating, ethereal sound with
effortless rendition in the high treble. That's my ultimate test and
holy grail -- a capacity to record the teeny screechy birds we have in
England without plainness or sharpness in the sound. Ah well.

NT55 or AT 3032? A hard call. NT55s cost 50% more, but you get two
mics. That, with Rode's reputation, is why I added them to my little
stable, and so far I'm not displeased.

romillyh

--- In  Rob Danielson <> wrote:

> At 9:56 PM -0600 1/9/08, Mike Feldman wrote:
>
> >...anyone use the Rode NT55s, which come with
> >both omni and cardioid capsules? How do
> >those stack up against the AT3032s?
>
> Hi Mike,
>
> Nice that they weigh only 4 ounces each. I saw
> that the NT55 manual states, "The NT55 utilizes
> the 1/2" (externally biased) gold sputtered true
> condenser transducer used in the internationally
> renowned R=D8DE NT5."  Both mics are factory rated
> as 15dB(A). Weren't there some NT5 tests the
> micbuilders list?
>
> Romilly Hambling compares NT55's to a TLM 103 here:
> http://www.godsownclay.com/Equipment/Microphones/rodent55omni.html
>
> There is a higher gain recording of rain with the NT55's towards the
bottom.

> Romilly also compares the AT3032's to the TLM 103
> here:

http://www.godsownclay.com/Equipment/Microphones/Resources/TLM103-3032_AB.m=
p3

> Rob D.

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: