Re: FR-2LE so far

Subject: Re: FR-2LE so far
From: "Andrew Carter" standlynch
Date: Fri Jan 4, 2008 1:30 pm ((PST))
Oryoki wrote:

/The FR-2LE is working very well. I'm sending it to a colleague in
Venezuela for some tropical field use. He has a 722 and Telinga mic
setup as well, so I think he can provide a good field comparison.

Considering its capabilities, the FR-2LE turned out to be very
affordable. The recorder cost $425 delivered from eBay, two RC car
batteries and universal charger cost $50, and I found an 8GB
Compactflash card on sale for $40.

Now I need to find a field case. Portabrace makes one, but at $140,
it's too expensive for this project. Maybe I'll buy a Lowe camera bag
and cut a hole in the side for the FR-2LE's mic cables./

I note that Oade Bros are offering various variations on the FR2LE - if
the basic machine is receving good
reviews so far, how good are these improvements when comparing them to
other more expensive machines?

Am I right to assume that this machine (ie the basic un-modified one) is
the next step up (in terms of quality) from an existing mini disc (RH1),
though there now seems to be a plethora of options. (Many thanks Oryoki
for keeping us so well infomed)

Thanks

Andrew