Re: soldering station?

Subject: Re: soldering station?
From: "Greg Weddig" gweddig
Date: Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:46 pm ((PST))
David,
I have soldered a lot of cable over the years, now that it's not part
of my job I enjoy it again.  I have most always used a Weller WLC100.
 They are widely available.  Be sure to get a few tools to help you do
the job:

Look at the available tips and determine which one is the most useful,
I tend to use the skinny screwdriver tip shaped one for XLR connectors.
Solder sucker, for removing extra solder
Hemostats, for holding cable and connectors
a little Panavice can also be used for holding connectors.  Or use a
vicegrip lightly clamped to the connector with electrical tape to
protect the finish.
A few colors of heat shrink in different sizes, you will want to be
sure to put a small piece over the shield wire.
A little tin of tip cleaner is alway useful.

A good pair of safety glasses, that don't slide off you nose when you
are leaning over small work.
If possible soldier outdoors, any soldier, lead, silver tin or
otherwise is not meant to be inhaled or injested.  If you are
soldering indoors get fitted for a respirator or use a exhaust system.
 Be sure to wash your hands after soldering.

Watch your heat, too cold and you'll be frustrated, too hot and you'll
be melting the wire insulation.  PRACTICE, it takes a while to get the
hang of it.

And finally, don't forget to put the boot on the wire, BEFORE you
solder it.

--greg weddig
Baltimore, MD
http://gregweddig.net