Re: Will audio recording be affected too?

Subject: Re: Will audio recording be affected too?
From: "" jerkabobber
Date: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:48 pm ((PST))
I don't really have anything important to add to this thread, just my 2 cen=
ts, what ever that's worth... I am about as amateur as a nature recordist c=
an get, and I think I would be pretty pissed if I was, say, in Yellowstone =
for example recording with my hand held unit, and a Ranger began to "hassle=
" (or whatever) me about it. I would automatically think that he's crazy, b=
ecause up until these recent threads about this subject, I had no idea abou=
t these "regulations" This is a very difficult subject indeed. I would have=
 thought that this Ranger should?be out?doing something else than bothering=
 me about recording some sounds. The only way I?can equate this is like a c=
op giving you a ticket for littering for spitting out a piece of chewing gu=
m onto the ground while he should be out?looking for the people who are dum=
ping their McDonald's fast food?bag full of uneaten garbage right out the w=
indow of there car.?

Maybe I am missing a point here, but I don't see what anyone is doing wrong=
 with recording in Parks. Being charged for a permit to do so, and fined fo=
r doing so without one seems ludicrous. Sure, the person?who is obviously b=
eing a jerk needs to approached,?I understand the matters of interfering wi=
th wildlife and doing damage while your trying to record, but would we not =
record if we knew we were doing harm? I would think that we all are quite r=
espectful of nature, animals and the parks we visit and admire, we have to =
be or I don't think we would indeed be nature recordists. So I would think =
that we are inherently harmless, no more so than the average tourist snappi=
ng pictures.?I would also think that Rangers know that too.?I certainly wou=
ldn't walk off a boardwalk in Yellowstone and leave my boot prints all over=
 the place to record that gurgling mudpot that was too far away to record f=
rom the boardwalk.?It's all common sense?while in any park anyway, they alw=
ays have signs that tell us not to harass wildlife, stay off the rail, stay=
 on the boardwalk, no swimming here, etc, etc...

Just felt like ranting. :)

Dave