Re: Return after evaluation

Subject: Re: Return after evaluation
From: "oryoki2000" oryoki2000
Date: Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:16 am ((PST))
"Oryoki" wrote
> After a week of living with the new Sony PCM-D50, I returned it.

I'm frequently interested in gear that I can't examine in a local shop
before the sale.  So I purchase online from a merchant that allows a
return within a limited time period.  For example, B&H Photo Video and
Trew Audio have a 5 day return policy.  Cascade Media allows a week.
Sweetwater and Guitar Center let you evaluate your purchase for about
2 weeks.

All companies have restrictions in their return policy.  For example,
no vendor I'm aware of will accept the return of a microphone
(presumably for health reasons).

If you're ordering for evaluation, be sure to check with the vendor
about their current policy.  Sometimes the company's web pages are not
up-to-date.

Evaluating products in this way is not free.  You have to pay for
shipping both ways, and sometimes you have to pay a restocking fee.
In my case, the expense is worthwhile because it gives me hands-on
experience with gear that I can't see locally.

--oryoki