Re: Sony PCM-D50 -- pro and con

Subject: Re: Sony PCM-D50 -- pro and con
From: "oryoki2000" oryoki2000
Date: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:40 am ((PST))
"Danny Meltzer"  wrote:

>I've handled one in person, and I actually like the size.

The D50's solid construction is very appealing.  The D50 has an
"artifact from the future" appearance, while the Fostex FR-2LE looks
like a child's lunch box!

My problem was in controlling the recorder while holding a mic or
parabola in the other hand.  The recorder is a little broad and heavy
to hold securely and operate with your thumb, like a cell phone.  I
almost dropped the D50 a couple of times when holding it like this.

One alternative is to carry the D50 in a belt pouch, and operate it
via Sony's optional RM-PCM1 remote control.  However, you need to
watch the LCD meters pretty closely, at least for a while, to make
sure the level is not too high.  The RM-PCM1 has no meters or peak
LED. So you have to hold the D50 or rest it on something so you can
see the main LCD screen.

The FR-2LE, on the other hand, is designed to hang from the shoulder
while recording.  Carried in this manner, the FR-2LE's record, pause,
volume controls and LED meters face up along the top edge.  You can
easily control the FR-2LE with one hand while holding a parabola in
the other.

If you can set up the D50 so it's mounted on a tripod or resting on a
desktop, then it's very easy to use.  I do prefer XLR inputs, however,
and the D50 only has a 1/8-inch (3.5mm) TRS jack.

> My concern was the automatic gain control/limiter.

I never turned it on.  It's activated by an external switch.

--oryoki