Re: Digest Number 3744

Subject: Re: Digest Number 3744
From: "Gina Farr" jnell88
Date: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:43 am ((PST))
--- In  Louis Judson <>

<> wrote:>

> Now, if a nature recordists captured the sounds of a WILD bird
talking, that would be something to remark on.

> Do any bird owners find their animals imitating figures of speech
without being taught by long repetition?

> Lou

Yes!

I live with a "wild" starling, a wildlife rescue bird named Kizzie.
She is a master at referential associations.  We did teach her the
James Bond theme song (fun!), but otherwise, she picks up the meanings
and emotions of words and environmental sounds, then uses them in
proper context -- quite to her own advantage!

Example 1 -- When I'm mopping or dusting the house, showering,
brushing my hair or teeth,  doing dishes, sorting the laundry,
brushing the dog, Kizzie will mimic the sound of me spraying cleaning
solution and then  ee-ee-eeking' as if I was cleaning a mirror to a
high shine. She does this primarily when I'm doing all the things one
could construe as cleaning (the only other time is when she's jiving
"Kizzie's Greatest Hits").

Example 2 -- If I'm upset and acting it, Kizzie will fly over to me
(she flies freely in the house), land on my shoulder and blurt out
"Jesus!" or a very exasperated "Jeez!".  She doesn't say this at any
other time.

Starlings are referential communicators, able to quickly categorize
words and emotions.  In fact, two scientists from Indiana University
lived with several starlings over ten years for a communications
research project.  Cracks me up that one starling learned to scream "I
have a question!" while it's foot was getting doctored, lol.

http://www.homepages.indiana.edu/042602/text/cowbirds.html

Unlike a parrot, a starling doesn't have a voicebox.  They are mimics.
The words we hear are clear -- and in my case, a reproduction of my
husband's voice (unless it's the swearing, that's all mine I'm
afraid).  What's important is that Kizzie may only hear an expression
once or twice to put it into context and use it in a related way. Ask
anyone living with a starling, and there have been many, including
Mozart, and we'll tell you that meaningful conversations take place
every day with these innovative and successful little creatures!

Want to hear/see Kizzie in action?  Visit the soundslides show that
the Marin Independent Journal did a few months ago.

http://extras.marinij.com/multimedia/kizzie/index.html

Michael, I'm fascinated with the work you are doing.  Consider one
book solidly sold.

Gina Farr (Hi, I'm new!)
Marin County, CA