Re: Oregon Mysteries: two locations - same species?

Subject: Re: Oregon Mysteries: two locations - same species?
From: "Barney" uskroeger
Date: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:35 pm ((PST))
Hi,
with the additional information regarding his recently posted
mystery#1 recording, John has made a good case that what to me
sounded like a squirrel or chipmunk, was actually a northern pygmy
owl.  It would have never entered my head.  I pulled out my set of
Cornell's Voices of American Owls and started going through the
northern pygmy owl vocalizations.  There is indeed one that sounds
like the chittering on John's recording.  (labeled Northern Pygmy Owl
delivery at nest)  I had no clue and learned from this.  I'm not good
at it, but maybe someone can make a spectrogram of both vocalizations
and compare.

Regards

Barney Kroeger
Nevada City, CA