MS Recording for Soundscapes and video

Subject: MS Recording for Soundscapes and video
From: "Peter Uhd" peter_uhd
Date: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:03 am ((PDT))
I am living in  the mountains of Australia, here we share 25 acres with 20 =
or so kangaroos half a dozen kookaburras who are quick to laugh at you and =
with great blessing and  hundreds of croaking, ribbeting and =91bong=92ing =
frogs. He community of people fluctuates from 15 to 75 and we all share the=
 household duties such as cooking, cleaning and gardening like a big family=
. At the start of this year I decided to look into sound recording to make =
naturalist cd=92s and video to document environmental hotspots whilst trave=
lling. Now I have extended my vision to include a documentary of living at =
our ashram, including footage of our yogic practises such as fire ceremonie=
s and chanting of mantras accompanied by harmonium, drum, in a call and res=
ponse. singing.

I have a background as graphic, interior and architectural design and can b=
e a perfectionist in creative endeavours. I am very thorough at the beginni=
ng and like to know what I am doing right from the start and have the tools=
 and materials to build from the base up. Here at the ashram it is a very q=
uiet natural space, no radio or tv, surrounded by forest. I want to capture=
 the silence and the soundscape of the blackbirds, rosellas etc simultaneou=
s to shooting action or interviewing. Sound is very important to my idea. I=
 have no equipment at all and many of the latest 24 bit digital products se=
em enticing esp the Sound Devices 702 or 722. Entry-level Pro Video recorde=
rs in HD seem as affordable as second hand older models in SD and I am look=
ing at Sony HVR-A1 and /or -Z1.
I am thinking to record in ms stereo as this seems simple and versatile for=
 postproduction. I am totally seduced by the Sennheiser MKH range, currentl=
y limiting my focus to buying a MKH30 and MKH40 and initially combining the=
m with a dish for longer directional recording If this would work and later=
 trying other combinations such as MKH 30 with MKH 60

Now all this would neatly swallow up my life savings, and I am sure there w=
ould be lots of other items like boom pole, windscreen, tripod and head whi=
ch are pretty vital as well.

Before I send of my orders I am hoping to put it out to the community of so=
und and video people for rationalisation. For instance is it more sensible =
to go with Rode NT55 and combined with a figure 8 cardioid such as the MKH3=
0 or is there a neater solution? Or for the price of the two MKH buying a S=
anken CS7 or the cheaper Sanken CS9 (but this is limited to x y output that=
 I=92m not sure if you can alter the signal profile =96width- in postproduc=
tion?) But I am looking for future flexibility to build a sound toolkit.

For Recording I think I want to explore the 24 bit world so I cant really s=
ee a better option to have great pre-amps, and 24 bit and sensible storage =
option than the SD722.

New music from the Rogue Traders - listen now!
http://ninemsn.com.au/share/redir/adTrack.asp?mode=3Dclick&clientID=3D832&r=
eferral=3DhotmailtaglineOct07&URL=3Dhttp://music.ninemsn.com.au/roguetrader=

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: