Re: Frogs and Insects

Subject: Re: Frogs and Insects
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:03 am ((PDT))
Posted by: "pga7602"

> This is a strange one.  I spent all night looking through your plans
> for the modified SASS and here you are answering my thread.  I am very
> interested in building the modified SASS and since it does coast ann
> extra couple of hundred dollars for the housing, I am leaning more
> toward getting the 3032 and possibly upgrading the setup to MKH at a a
> later time.  Thank you for your response by the way.

Pretty much any straight sided end pickup omni can be worked into a SASS
if it's not too large. As long as the diaphragm is exposed enough. The
diaphragm must be on the same plane as the boundary and be able to
acoustically couple with the boundary to produce a more or less
continuous surface.

The other thing is it should be a high quality, low noise mic. The
original SASS is about 22dBA self noise so if your mic is not quieter
than that just get a original SASS. I don't recommend the original SASS
for quiet ambiance due to it's higher self noise.

I did the 3032 test with a borrowed pair into my regular SASS by
machining some shim tubes. I have built a complete SASS for these for
another nature recordist.

The making pages pretty much show all the detail of how I do the mod for
the MKH-20. The hard part was working out how to do it on the first one.
I've built over 3 dozen of them since. I know several people have also
built their own after going through how I do it.

As far as starting with a pair of 3032's in a mod SASS and then later
upgrading to MKH-20's that will work. The 3032's are about 3/4" diameter
and the MKH is 1". So you build it up for the 3032's with a smaller hole
in the housing and using smaller diameter delrin support tubes but the
positioning for MKH-20's. Then when you want to move to MKH you make new
larger diameter delrin support tubes and bore out the housing for the
larger mic. Of course it's much harder to go back, so if you still want
a 3032 SASS around start from a new housing.