Re: Frogs and Insects

Subject: Re: Frogs and Insects
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:14 am ((PDT))
Posted by: "pga7602"

> I've looked into MKH30/40 mics, but they are way off my budget.  My
> budget at this point is 700 for both mics.

You could almost make it to two MKH with that if you spent lots of time
watching ebay. That's how I got all my MKH. Several were in the $400-500
range off ebay and are doing just fine. I averaged way under half price
for all my MKH. MKH 30, 40 are generally the least expensive MKH on
ebay. The 30's are, however scarce. One of my came out of Russia, the
other out of Switzerland.

I second the idea it is worth investing in MKH mics. Once you have them
you are set.

My favorite close in mic is the modified SASS/MKH20. (the MKH20 for that
came off ebay, $1200 for a matched pair) I do a lot of frog recording:
http://frogrecordist.home.mindspring.com/docs/mod_sass.html
Note you can do a mod SASS with the AT3032.