Re: [gear] new software from SD (waveagent)

Subject: Re: [gear] new software from SD (waveagent)
From: "Greg Weddig" gweddig
Date: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:48 am ((PDT))
For more information on flac see their faq:

http://flac.sourceforge.net/faq.html

I have been using flac for a few years and haven't had any problem
with it yet.  I have a few personal projects (not nature recording)
that I archive to flac files on DVD, with the decoder, so if I ever
have to decode them, I don't have to hunt down the decoder.  This
allows me to fit about twice as many files on a DVD.  Keep in mind
that I have the source material (vinyl records) here so any data loss
would not be catastrophic.

The Internet Archive(http://www.archive.org) has an extensive
collection of flac encoded concerts.

I'm glad Sound Devices is supporting this, I wish more hardware
manufacturers would incorporate flac decoders into their products.  I
like to be able to review my recordings on the ipod from time to time
and wav files are usually too big.

--greg weddig
http://gregweddig.net