Re: The Zen of Microphone Maintenance

Subject: Re: The Zen of Microphone Maintenance
From: "Philip Tyler" macmang4125
Date: Sun Sep 9, 2007 11:10 am ((PDT))
In the television industry where I work, studios and
outside broadcasts, I have seen some very rough
handling of microphones which would make a 2 ft fall
of a chair seem like a gentle stroll in the park. The
microphones on the whole seem to be fairly robust, but
all the same I would not recommend rough handling of
my own. Even the 4038's we use which are a figure of
eight ribbon microphones, have had some bad treatment
over their long lives and seem to be OK.
So I would have thought your 2 ft fall, although
probably heart stopping at the time, probably did no
damage.

Phil
--- artsonics <> wrote:

> Greg,
>    That was very interesting to read and I have been
> curious about
> these matters, However nothing was mentioned about
> shock damage and I
> would certainly be interested to know if or how much
> damage I may have
> done to my k6/me66 that fell from a height of about
> 2ft off a  chair
> onto a tiled surface. The only fortunate thing is
> that it was
> disconnected and so no phantom power was on at the
> time....at least I
> suspect things may be worse if that was the case.
> All the same its not
> something I would like to happen very often. Anyone
> on the group have
> something to share on this issue.
>
>             regards all
>                           clint