Ambience (Forest, Surf, Streams etc) WL 183's ?

Subject: Ambience (Forest, Surf, Streams etc) WL 183's ?
From: "paulmcnelis" paulmcnelis
Date: Thu Sep 6, 2007 8:29 pm ((PDT))
Thanks everyone for your input so far!

I am still seeking advice but I have narrowed my decision.

#1.I am not looking to record specific sounds, such as specific birds
or frogs. What I invision is to sit near a pond and record its ambience
(frogs, birds,crickets,etc) , or sit near a stream and record the same,
or by the ocean and record the surf plus perhaps birds or
people/children, etc.

#2.I wish to record in stereo. That is my priority. I am not picky
about what I wish to record, as someday I may wish to record nature
then maybe the ambience of a pub. Just as long as it's in stereo and
minimal internal "hiss".

My questions:

Would the WL-183's be a good decision to start off with?

If I get a Sony HiMD, H4, Edirol R09 or FR2-LE, do the 183's have to be
modded to fit these devices?

What other microphones would be good for stereo?

My budget would be around $400 (give or take a hundred).

Thanks again!