Am I looking for omnidirectional or not?

Subject: Am I looking for omnidirectional or not?
From: "Scott Fraser" scottbfraser
Date: Sat Sep 1, 2007 10:00 am ((PDT))
<<As I continue to do my homework, I am finding out that the WL183's are
omnidirectional. And omnidirectional is great for true stereo imaging
in 360. >>

Sort of. A dirty little secret of the industry is that all
omnidirectional microphones become increasingly directional at higher
frequencies, some not so much, & some very much so. Some very
desirable extremely expensive omnis in fact are cardioid in their
upper octaves of response. So aiming the mics at the desired object
is still an important consideration with omnis.
Also, be aware that a number of different mounting & baffling options
(SASS, Jecklin, Dummy Head, etc.) can increase the forward
directionality of omni arrays. Lots of choices.

Scott Fraser