Re: Greater Anglewings in Tompkins Square Park, NYC

Subject: Re: Greater Anglewings in Tompkins Square Park, NYC
From: "wildlifeanalysis" wildlifeanalysis
Date: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:52 am ((PDT))
Thanks for listening, Suzanne.

When it comes to capturing wildlife in Manhattan (of the nonhuman
sort, the sounds of people and cars figure very prominently into the
soundscape. In fact, the activities of so many cars and people create
an omnipresent broadband low-frequency roar, like the background
radiation from the birth of the universe picked up by radio
telescopes. The sound of progress. My first attempts at capturing the
anglewings were in the middle of the park (where I thought it would be
the quietest) and they have a very lo-fi quality to them - completely
saturated by the background noise. Oddly enough, I think that getting
a decent recording of these insects in the city requires that other
sound sources be present in the scene.