Re: Greater Anglewings in Tompkins Square Park, NYC

Subject: Re: Greater Anglewings in Tompkins Square Park, NYC
From: "Suzanne Williams" scw1217
Date: Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:56 am ((PDT))
So THAT's what NY sounds like at 12:30 am!  It really is a great idea
to capture city sounds.  I live in a very rural area in Central
Florida and that may be all I ever hear of NY.  Great recording, very
clear.

----------------------
Suzanne
Suzanne Williams Photography
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/swilli41/www
Florida, USA

--- In  David Michael
<> wrote:

> It's late summer and the insects are singing in full force. I have
> been hearing the ticks of the Greater Anglewing for at least a few
> weeks here in what scattered trees remain in the East Village
> (identified using Lang Elliott and Wil Hershberger's *excellent*
> "Songs of Insects"). I must admit that I am surprised that there
is
> even enough stable habitat in downtown Manhattan for them to breed -

> I suppose all it takes is a few tree-lined streets and it's
> sufficient to attract these buggers. In the last couple of nights
the
> singing has gotten rather conspicuous and I thought it might be a
> good idea to get some of it on tape before the party was over.
>
> This recording was taken on E 7th St, between Ave A and B on the
> South side of Tompkins Square Park in New York City ( http://
> tinyurl.com/36yfja ) at about 12:30am on a Thursday night/Friday
> morning. There is an Anglewing singing in the center of the stereo
> field and several others in the periphery. A few people pass by in
> front of the mics talking and cars pass in the rear. The mics are
> angled at about a 35 degree angle into the trees. The recording
rig
> was an MS pair (MKH 30/40) in a pistol grip mount with my Fostex
> FR2LE in my backpack. I was on a bike (in case I needed a quick
> getaway). In past postings I have been quite liberal with the
volume
> of the side mic, but this time I have cut its volume which narrows
> the stereo field and seems to give the recording a better sense of
> space as people pass by. There are 2 files posted (one for size,
the
> other for "quality"), compressed from the 24bit/48KHz source using
> iTunes. They very well may sound the same.
>
> http://unnature.org/nature/anglewing_tompkins_sq_192kbps.mp3 (~6.2
Mb)
> http://unnature.org/nature/anglewing_tompkins_sq_320kbps.mp3 (~10.4
Mb)