Re: N. Cal soundscape survey

Subject: Re: N. Cal soundscape survey
From: "Suzanne Williams" scw1217
Date: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:16 am ((PDT))
Bernie,

Your comments put me in mind of the time in history when the land
belonged to everyone and you could travel in it get lost in it.  (Of
course, there was not recording equipment back then!)  Sad in a way
that things are as they are.

----------------------
Suzanne
Suzanne Williams Photography
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/swilli41/www
Florida, USA

--- In  Bernie Krause <>
wrote:

> Jack Hines and I just returned from a look-see for available
inland
> coastal sites around Mendocino and northern Sonoma Counties in
> Northern California. Basically, we were looking for either Marbled
> Murlette or Spotted Owl sites. Because all of the campsites in the
> Redwood National Park were taken during the times we wanted to go
> (Marbled Murlettes), we opted to go inland to try to find redwood
> locations for Spotted Owls further south. The first night we ended
up
> at a campsite in Jackson State Park (N39=B021'28.40"/W123=B0
09'45.50").
> To our ears it was solitary and quiet. To our mics, it was noisy
as
> hell with logging traffic from as far away as 5 or 6 miles =96 big
> trucks downshifting around curves and downhill runs. We heard one
owl
> call early in the evening when we weren't recording. Also, over
the
> distant traffic noise some ravens around dawn. Because of the
distant
> traffic, and some few overflights, the site is not great for
> recording at any time of year, probably. As for the rest of the
area,
> checking all of the jeep trails and dirt roads off the main
arteries,
> every gate was locked. Every other access blocked, even for
serious
> off-road vehicles. Apparently, Mendocino County and residents are
> particularly concerned about the thriving pot-growing industry and
> the property owners, logging companies, and even state and
national
> parks, have clamped down on access to wilderness sites we could
> easily get to only a decade ago.
>
> On Monday, we went further south into northern Sonoma County to
try
> to find other sites. Same problem. We covered 175 miles looking
for
> locations or access to them and were thwarted at every turn. There
> are some private properties =96 large holdings of land =96 that we're =

> looking at, particularly south of Hwy 128 off the Anderson Valley =96

> one 3500 acre site owned and managed by a state university. The
other
> a very large piece owned and managed privately, that we will try
> get permission to camp and record at in the spring.
>
> Anyone on the list know of good inland camping/recording sites in
> that region (Willits - Ft. Bragg at the northern boundary,
Mendocino