XLR mic cables

Subject: XLR mic cables
From: "Roger Norwood" bigrogsound
Date: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:13 am ((PDT))
Regarding XLR mic cables, having different lengths for different
circumstances is useful. I keep 4 x 2m for close quick work, two in
use and two spare and then 4 x 5m and 7 x 10m as spares and for
making-up long runs.
All these can be made-up from a 100m reel of cable purchased from
www.cpc.co.uk who stock a vast range of components.
Their prices for XLR male plugs Neutrik NC3MXCC(digital)are =A32.70
exVAT, stock code 3886189 and for the female Neutrik NC3FXCC(digital)
are =A34.27 exVAT, stock code 3886177.
I have not had any problems with either mechanical or electrical
quality with their standard version which comes in black or nickel
finish.
Male prices are =A31.84 exVAT for NC3MX-nickel, stock code 308766 &
=A32.29 exVAT for NC3MXB-black, stock code 308808.
Females are more expensive at =A32.25 - nickel - 308778 and =A32.81 -
black - 308810, again exVAT.
Connector prices reduce if you buy in quantity.

They have high quality 100m Vandamme 'Starquad' black mic cable
(268027C) stock code CB04647 at =A388.55 ex or =A3104.05 incVAT. It has
two white and two blue insulated 'oxygen-free' copper conductors and
a braided screen.
Standard Vandamme black mic cable (268020C) with 'OF copper' red &
blue conductors and spiral screen, stock code CB04650 is =A374.54 ex'
and =A387.50 incVAT for 100m.
Both these cables have good flexibility and relatively low handling
noise although I usually apply 'strain relief' at movement points and
monitor whilst waggling the cables to see what is actually happening.
I have sometimes found that despite good wind protection at the mic
capsule end an otherwise good recording can be undone with wind
whistling in between cables, stands, booms etc. etc.

These are 'trade' prices but you can open an account and pay on-line
or phone by credit card.
cheers
Roger