5. Re: Movie soundscapes

Subject: 5. Re: Movie soundscapes
From: "Scott Fraser" scottbfraser
Date: Tue Aug 7, 2007 8:46 am ((PDT))
<<That's pretty bad. In their defense (being one of those pesky movie
sound guys) it's often pretty damn hard to have the luxury of
tracking down a whole library of FX for a given foreign local. And
the fact is, 99% or more of the people out there probably would never
know the difference (which is also probably a bit sad). My father, an
avid motorcyclist for his entire life, often vents to me when he
hears them using the wrong sound for the bike, "On screen was a 1952
Norton Commando, and they used the sound from a 1961 BSA blah blah'.
When I point out to him that about 4 other people on the planet
noticed, sometimes he quiets down :)>>

Even more egregious than an incorrect location sound is a completely
wrong cultural indicator, as in the case of the use of Irish Uilleann
bagpipes for the score to Braveheart, a film taking place entirely in
Scotland, a country which, rather proudly, plays Highland pipes. The
two have as much in common as an oboe & a baritone sax. Again, most
viewers would never know, but the bagpipe community was outraged.

Scott Fraser