Re: Wren Wilstone Reservoir

Subject: Re: Wren Wilstone Reservoir
From: "Chris Hails" chrishails50
Date: Thu Aug 2, 2007 11:58 am ((PDT))
Phil, a bit late with my reply but wanted to say I enjoyed this mix,
the wren is at about the max level my system can sustain and I have
found that before. For a small bird they really produce the most
powerful piercing sounds (- have you ever tried slowing it down and
looking at what they really do ?). The photo on your page was a great
idea, I could really see the water lapping.

Your filtering worked well for me, and since I also live on several
flight paths I too suffer from aircraft noise, and sometime I would
love to know what "gentle filtering" means on this group. I use
something called Wavepad which gives me an adjustable equaliser which
can act as a filter. Some time ago Walter Knapp told us that several
passes with a "gentle hand" produced the best results, so I usually
do that, going for several passes with a 30% reduction below 1Khz (or
maybe 800Hz depending on the energy spectrum which I check first),
and can then back-up one step when it begins to sound too weird
(usually 2-3 steps is enough). Rob Danielson also said he keeps
anything below 40Hz in there, which I also follow to try and retain
some "mellowness" whilst removing the intrusion.

Any tips from anyone on the best way to remove traffic and aircraft
noise ?

Chris

--- In  "Phil Tyler"
<> wrote:

> I recently made a recording at a local reservoir where the main
subject was a Wren, while
> nearby Mute Swans fed and grunted. There are also Coots, Moorhens,
Common Terns and
> Grey Herons amongst others in the background as well. I applied
some 'gentle' filtering to
> remove some of the unwanted sounds and to attempt to clean it up.
But in this part of