Re: curious on ultrasounds

Subject: Re: curious on ultrasounds
From: "Jean-Francois Julien" =
jfjulien2
Date: Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:08 am ((PDT))

Hola,

        that's an insect for sure. Bats can emit a rapid succession of
very frequency-modulated sounds (almost vertical on a sonagram) when
capturing (or attempting to) an insect but the pattern is different
and it does not sound the same at ear. It is that bat workers call a
"buzz". Usually the very end of the buzz is emitted at frequencies
lower than the usual echolocation calls of a given species.
        However, you can encounter in and around Sevilla a low
frequency (11 to 16 kHz) emitting bat, the Greater Noctula (Nyctalus
lasiopterus), now infamous after the demonstration by a Coto Do=F1ana
based team of its bird-eating habits. Its calls are loud, with a low
repetition rate  (0.4s to 0.9s intervals)  and it is fairly easy to
record it with  plain audio equipment. It roosts in Sevilla and uses
to forage above Do=F1ana.