Re: Intro and a Few Equipment/Newbie Questions

Subject: Re: Intro and a Few Equipment/Newbie Questions
From: "no_mas_films" no_mas_films
Date: Wed Jul 4, 2007 7:30 am ((PDT))
Hello all! Just to be curious, why not consider the Marantz 660 CF
recorder? $449.00 on ebay, if not cheaper used. Not up to the audio
standards?  Thanks, Chris

--- In  "B.Campbell" <>
wrote:

> Being new here, I'll offer a quick intro before starting in on my
questions....

> By trade I'm a business consultant (think helping small to mid-size
businesses get online from design & dev to marketing) and
photographer, and a long time
hiker/biker/climber/kayaker/xcskier/snowshoer/runner. (Prior lives
included chem/bio/mathematics teacher/univ. instructor/usaf
officer/environmental & civil engineer/dot-com technical project
manager...) At present I'm considering dipping my toe into the waters
(or immersing?) of podcasting with at least one project being nature
oriented. In the past I've done some video work, but haven't worked
with sound a great deal. Early versions of Vegas Video/SoundForge was
the last time I really got into it. So, I anticipate I'll be climbing
a learning curve but am excited about the possibilities.

> (1) Does anyone have some good instructions/software/techniques for
removing background hiss/traffic noise?
> During a recent trip back to my family home in MN (to work on
preparing it for sale), I made several recordings of morning and
evening songbirds with a small digital recorder (Olympus WS-300M). As
could be expected I'm now dealing with a great deal of recorder hiss
and traffic noise that I'd like to weed out. Any pointers for doing
this would be helpful. I've installed audacity as a start and will
continue to dig through google & the forum here for tidbits that
would assist me in clearing up this set of recordings.

> (2) Any suggestions/recommendations on additional equipment
required for quality nature recordings?
> After reading through suggestions on this and other forums and
emailing Doug V.  I'm looking at purchasing a Fostex FR-2 and Telinga
Pro6/Stereo DAT and screen. Any comments on these or other options
and necessary equipment would be helpful. I anticipate most of my
recordings will be in the field (hikes in the Cascades), however
there will also be some more local work. So weight will be somewhat
of a factor.

> (3) Any suggestions/recommendations on equipment beyond (2) for
occasional in office recordings for podcasts?
> I'm sure there are many w/ experience in preparing quality sound
casts. Any equipment that I should check out that you can't live
without?

> Thanks in advance for your assistance/guidance. I'm looking forward
to the challenges ahead and hearing some great nature in the process.
(In some sense too these projects are personal -- my partner Richard
is hearing impaired and I'd love to share those wonderful twittering
birds with him too!)