Re: help, mystery AZ bird

Subject: Re: help, mystery AZ bird
From: "Doug Von Gausig" dougvg
Date: Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:38 am ((PDT))
At 09:51 AM 6/22/2007, you wrote:

>Hi,
>
>After recording in Arizona in May, I am having a heck of time ID'ing
>some of the birds. One bird in particular I just have no idea on is in
>this recording snip-it:
><http://www.natureguystudio.com/share%20data/AZ%>http://www.natureguystudio.com/share%20data/AZ%
>20desert%20mystery%20bird%20051107.mp3
>
>There are a few birds on the recording; a few warblers, some kind of
>Thrasher (I think), and the bird in question. It was recorded near a
>small creek in dense cover and large trees, in a desert east of
>Phoenix. I wasn't able to get a visual on it. It didn't seem to move
>very much, possibly near a nest. I did see some Yellow-Breasted Chats
>in the area. It sounds a little like a cuckoo or maybe Trogon, but it
>should be too far north to be a Trogon, and I am unable to match it up
>to anything I have heard from many sources. Any ideas??
>
>Thanks much!
>Bruce Rutkoski

Hi Bruce. I assume you mean the loudest "laughing" bird in that recording.
It's  Cooper's Hawk.

In the future you might want to consider using a "Tiny URL" (see
http://www.tiny.cc/) to convert those long URLs - when they get broken up
onto two lines in an e-mail they often fail to cut and paste completely.

Nice recording!

Doug
Doug Von Gausig
Digitally Recorded Birds Sounds at: