sony mz-rh1 line-in and mic gain

Subject: sony mz-rh1 line-in and mic gain
From: "Paul Jacobson" thebrunswicktwitcher
Date: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:15 pm ((PDT))
hi all,

just curious if anyone knew what the actual maximum gain was on the
line in on the RH1?  I've done some (very basic and possibly flawed)
testing using my laptop soundcard which roughly corresponds with the
gain testing done on www.wildlife-sound.org, in that unity gain is
located somewhere between rec level settings 21 and 22. The tests
I've done indicate that with record level set at 30  a -15dBu signal
is need to drive the metering to just under the point where the
"over" indicator lights. The testing on wildlife-sound showed a
signal of -13dBu was required to drive the meters to the same point.

It's probably not that crucial to know what the exact figures are,
however I'm testing a home brew mic-pre amp and was trying to get a
reasonably accurate idea of EIN, which requires knowing maximum gain.

While I've been playing round with my new preamp which has 66dB gain,
I've noticed that to get roughly matched levels (within about 0.9dB)
I need to set the external pre/line in combination at around 21/22
(ie near unity gain), and the rh1 internal preamp on hi and record
level to 30. This would indicate that the max gain on the RH1 mic
preamp is around 66dB, which tallies with the figures shown on
www.wildlife-sound.org.

cheers
Paul