Question re mic self-noise

Subject: Question re mic self-noise
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:49 am ((PDT))
At 5:32 PM +0000 6/17/07, Adam Welz wrote:
>Dear Rob
>During our conversation regarding cheaper
>recorders (copied below) you said the following:
>"Your Sennhieser ME 66 with K6 power module likely produces more
>
>self-noise than either the Hi-MD or
>Microtracker' s mic pres."Since I'm very new to
>this, I wonder if you could tell me if mic
>self-noise and recorder pre-amp noise are
>cumulative, or if a noisy mic will just cover up
>pre-amp noise?

Its cumulative and one can "cover up" the other
depending on the difference in level and the
sonic character of the noise sources. I have read
in a couple of places that if the two noise
sources differ by 10dBA, the noise from the
louder source one will effectively mask the noise
created by lower one.  Likewise, if the
difference is less, you will hear a mix of the
noise from both sources.

>In other words, if the ME 66 with K6 is noisier
>than either the Sony Hi-MD or the MicroTrack,
>will it make any difference to the noise on the
>recording which one I use?

This would need to be tested to be sure, but I
would guess that it would be hard to hear the
difference in the recorders with that mic.
Sennheiser states the self-noise of their ME66
electret mic as 10 dB(A).  I don't own the mic
but based on tests posted by list members where I
could compare its performance to other mics,  I
found its self-noise performance to be closer to
Message: 16dBA.
Subject: The noise equivalent of the the Hi-MD
recorder pres seems to be in range of 10-12dBA
(based on a couple of  tests done with mkh-40's
with 12dBA self noise and numerous tests with
NT1-A's with 6dBA self noise)=A0 Taking the figure
of 11dBA for the Hi-MD's mic pre and 16dBA for
the ME66, the mic's self noise would be around 5
dBA louder.

There might be someone on this list with the gear
necessary to run a comparison test.  If you are
planning to use either recorder primarily with
this mic, I wouldn't let the Hi-MD's slightly
better noise performance be the determining
factor, especially as the ME66 has high output
and requires lower mic gain as a rule. Rob D.