Re: New mics / new array

Subject: Re: New mics / new array
From: "John Hartog" hartogj
Date: Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:54 pm ((PDT))
You are right, Rob, about the mics.  These 2032's (newly purchased)
have set me on a flurry of putting together various boundary and
barrier array systems.  What I used for that recording was a crazy
looking sass/jecklin hybrid thing I made.

I was sitting in a hole at the bottom of a tree.  I wasn't really
paying attention to what kind of tree it was, because the mosquitoes
were out in force for the first time this year, so I put a bandanna
over my head, under my headphones, covering my face.  I picked the
spot because it had begun to rain and that was the only dry spot I
could find in the immediate vicinity.  I held array up on my raised
knees where I sat leaned against the trunk.

Here are a couple photos.
Front view:
http://www.rockscallop.org/photos/jh-070617_array30c.jpg

Top view.
http://www.rockscallop.org/photos/jh-070617_array30b.jpg

It is kind of big, 12" tall and wide, about 15 inched long.  Made of
closed cell (micro-cell) foam - the type you might use for flotation
or dense padding.  The boundary plates are wood, the central barrier
is micro-cell foam. The mics are mounted though a core of denser
yoga-block foam.

The ambient background: wind in the trees, alder, spruce, fir ,
hemlock and cedar.  The ocean is roaring from the distant rear and
likely reflecting off the cape to the right.  There was a small
fast-moving stream a hundred feet or more off to the left.

Thank you for your comments.

John Hartog