Re: Open or Closed back headphones in the field

Subject: Re: Open or Closed back headphones in the field
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Fri Jun 8, 2007 2:34 pm ((PDT))
Posted by: "Danny Meltzer"

> Which type of headphones do you prefer in the field?  I currently use
> [and am used to] closed back ones from studio work and generally feel
> that it gives you a better idea of what you have.  But sometimes in
> the field I find myself really wanting to know where a sound is
> ACTUALLY coming from so I can adjust things quickly .  I figure open
> backed phones will be better for this.

The key is that you are out there recording from sensitive microphones.
Open back headphones will create feedback squeal. The better the mics
and the louder you monitor the more common that will be.

You gotta go with closed headphones, ones with very good isolation. I've
had my MKH mics pick up my headphones from over 30' away, and I was not
playing them loud.

> What does everyone think about this?
>
> I figured this was a nice innocuous subject that no one can claim
> divine righteousness over....but I guess we shall see:)

Whatever religion you have on this is fine by me. Field experience will
adjust your religion if it's flawed.