Re: Cheaper recorders cont.

Subject: Re: Cheaper recorders cont.
From: "oryoki2000" oryoki2000
Date: Mon Jun 4, 2007 8:27 pm ((PDT))
Adam Welz wrote:

> It remains for Klas (or anyone else) to clarify
> whether the MiniDisc actually delivers less noisy
> recordings than the MicroTrack.

The answer is, "It depends."  This is a question that can't be
answered out of context.

Measurements by Raimund Specht and others show the Hi-MD preamp has
less self-noise than the preamp in the Microtrack and the R-09.
Whether this difference will be noticeable in your recordings depends
on lots of factors.  The self-noise of the mic is important, of
course.  The background noise in your recording envirnoment (sighing
wind, rustling leaves, rain dripping, and so on) may mask the
difference.  If the sounds you're recording are loud and continuous,
the background noise of both equipment and environment will be masked.

And don't overlook the importance of fieldcraft to the recording
process.  Most recorders don't sound very nice when you crank the
preamp gain to maximum.  Getting closer to your subject and recording
at less than max boost will make for a better recording, regardless of
what gear you're using.

If there is a recording equipment dealer in your area, I'd recommend
that you use their demo equipment so you can find a set of equipment
that works well for you.

--oryoki