Re: Beginner question - Sony MiniDisc vs Zoom flash recorder

Subject: Re: Beginner question - Sony MiniDisc vs Zoom flash recorder
From: "Dan Dugan" dandugan_1999
Date: Sun Jun 3, 2007 10:16 am ((PDT))
Adam Welz wrote:

>However (and this is where I really need some of your experience and
>insight), the MiniDisc does not have balanced XLR inputs.
>
>How much of a problem is this, as I will virtually never be using a
>mic cable of longer than 1.5m? Not being much of an audio
>technician, I gather that the chief advantage of a balanced line is
>that interference is minimised over long distance. Does 1.5m count
>as 'long distance'?

Balanced mic wiring rejects magnetic field interference impinging on
the cable. But you don't run into that outdoors, unless you're under
power lines.

I use 40' cables with unbalanced MDs all the time. I even got away
with it in a church in the city, which surprised me.

They are sensitive to high-level radio interference, so be sure to
shut your cell phone down.

-Dan Dugan