Nature and Indoor Recordists

Subject: Nature and Indoor Recordists
From: "Scott Connop" turaconi
Date: Mon May 28, 2007 2:32 pm ((PDT))
Regardless of the testiness that surfaced from time to time in the thread c=
oncerning 24 bits vs. 16 bits, a very useful directive emerged from both ca=
mps. If one has the ability to record in 24 bits, then, why not? If one is =
recording in 16 bits, then you are still fine, current and producing high q=
uality for anyone's ears. Either way, the end result will always be primari=
ly affected by the quality of the original recording capture, which is the =
area that Walt and a few others have been emphasizing from the perspective =
of priority in recording outside in a natural venue.

One of the biggest differences between field recording and studio recording=
 is that there are a host of problems that the field presents that one can =
usually avoid in the studio. We get unwanted sounds on a variety of fronts,=
 we get uncooperative subjects, and we have to deal with the elements at th=
e same time. This is not to say that studio recordists don't have problems,=
 but when was the last time that you had a horde of mosquitoes trying to ma=
te with your windscreen. My original studio experience in trying to fix my =
messes consisted of a couple of rough frequency filters and a razor blade. =
Thank God for sound editing programs.

The direction in which I have seen this group gravitate to over the years i=
s towards creating an ability to record and store sound with similar qualit=
y to what a studio can do even though we have these problems. Hence the log=
ical merger of expertise and opinion from folks coming from both sides of t=
he fence. In nature recording, we can even break this down to those that re=
cord for atmospheric and aesthetic quality for posterity (or a few bucks) a=
nd those of us who record for field use and documentation. The latter split=
s out to those that don't really care as long as they get the sound they wa=
nt, and those of us who are trying to get the best sound possible under the=
 circumstances since we are doing this anyways. I fall into this last categ=
ory. And I have followed this thread avidly as it gives me direction. And I=
 hope Curt got his questions clarified because that's what this forum is al=
l about.

Scott Connop