An unusual and straightforward public request to Walter Knapp.

Subject: An unusual and straightforward public request to Walter Knapp.
From: "geopaul7" geopaul7
Date: Sun May 27, 2007 10:56 am ((PDT))
--- In  Walter Knapp <> wrote:

> Thanks for the vote of confidence, though I don't know why. I feel like
> I'm contributing some in the photography groups I belong to, but not
> really here. The photography groups have their own wars, FF vs APS, love=

> of ever increasing MP counts by some. Many of the better photographers
> have realized that the value of increased MP tapers off rapidly as they
> increase. (that should sound familiar in this discussion here) I have
> nearly 60 years of photography experience including extensive DSLR
> experience and can help the beginners there some without all the flack I=

> get here.
>
> Walt

Dear Walt:

Good luck and my prayers are with you.

I had not noticed you getting any flack here, and indeed don't know what yo=
u are talking
about, and I have been reading these posts pretty closely for several weeks=
. The group is
slightly unruly in general is what I have noticed.

I wish you would share some of your favorite recordings.  I really think yo=
ur Bufo
americanus is a classic.  Well, all your toads are great, as is the Bird vo=
iced treefrog.  Well,
in fact, all your herps are classics.  You have a recognized oeuvre.

I don't think that people would think you were bragging if you posted some =
of your
favorites, and then gave a little explanation about the concept behind the =
recording, how
long you had been trying to get it, the technique involved, the field craft=
 involved, perhaps
some photos.  This would be time consuming, but of immense help and gratifi=
cation to
the rest of us.  Perhaps it would start a new trend of people discussing ma=
ny of the non-
technical factors that go into great recording, with the end result of you =
actually get to
listen to what is achievable by a master.  Others might join in.  Curt rece=
ntly did this by
noting the ticks he encountered in his Chipewwa Series.

In any event, I hope that you will consider this request.

George Paul