Re: Ithaca, New York

Subject: Re: Ithaca, New York
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Sat May 26, 2007 8:45 pm ((PDT))
Posted by: "wildlifeanalysis"

> Thank you both for the info. Walt: I will be recording using an MS
> stereo setup, so looking at your recommendations, I will probably be
> attempting to keep the possible humans to my backside and keep the
> frogs at close range... even if I have to get swampy.

MS is directional, so aiming from a high position can help too.

Think of your callers as actors on a stage. You just have to identify
the stage and move your mic to the appropriate place to record that stage.

Note after about 2 AM man made noises are less. Even more true with the
higher gas prices. And early darkness there may be a increase in noise
as many now work until dark and then go home or shopping. Not all frogs
cooperate by calling late, but some do.

Here the Cope's Grays are calling, both day calls and breeding some.
It's a drought, so calling is less than normal. They sure were pretty
sounding this afternoon when I was pumping creek water into the frogpond
to keep the tadpoles going.