1. Re: 24 bit vs. 16 bit

Subject: 1. Re: 24 bit vs. 16 bit
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Thu May 17, 2007 8:11 am ((PDT))
Posted by: "Mark R."

> Walt wrote
>
>> >And this also ignores the rather more important question if people are
>> >using inappropriate mic setups for what they are trying to do. It seems
>> >to me folks are trying to push weak signals into usability. When what
>> >they should do is use more appropriate mic choices, or better fieldcraf=
>> >to get their mic positioned better. Improve the signal from your mics
>> >and the 24 bit advantages being cited essentially go away.
>

> I think making errors leads one into unconventional approaches that
> expand the limitations of gear, so while I agree with you on a
> documentation's level, there is a strong part of me that wants to
> experiment.

I would not say it leads only to unconventional approaches. It's
actually more likely to lead you into something that lots of folks have
done to improve their recordings. Little that we can learn in the way of
improvement has not already been done by someone.

Nothing I said precluded experimentation, in fact experimentation never
ends. What it said is that there are better ways to get good recordings
than chasing bit depth. They boil down to getting out there and using
the equipment you have, learning to use it better. And, maybe carefully
considered equipment additions as your experience brings you to
understand your needs. For most the one thing in equipment additions
that will do the most good is better mics. Until you get to the very top
end in mics 24bit is not going to help much. And as has been pointed
out, even top end mics are almost never up to providing a 24bit dynamic
range, not even close.

24bit is very low on my priority list for upgrading my equipment.
Actually I'm not buying much in new audio equipment, no need. This is
particularly true as most of my audio gets handed to others on audio
CDs, which are 16bit. I've had no requests that I give these folks 24
bit, but plenty of requests for more and more of the 16 bit recordings I
do.

Now in photos I do have folks who keep demanding the latest highest
megapixil count. Usually book publishers, who have a very poor concept
of what's needed. Here's some they grump about, only a 6MP camera.
http://madranis.home.mindspring.com/2006-03-12-018w.jpg
http://madranis.home.mindspring.com/2006-03-12-080w.jpg