Re: K6/ME66 noise when battery powered.

Subject: Re: K6/ME66 noise when battery powered.
From: "Gianni Pavan" gianni_pavan
Date: Tue May 8, 2007 8:53 am ((PDT))
Some time ago I posted my disappointment for the noise produced by a
new pair of Sennheiser K6/ME66 when powered by battery. I got them
back from Sennheiser Service in few weeks and now they work as
expected till 25 kHz; the same noise-floor regardless of the power source.
But when working on the internal battery they still produce a strong
peak, 50 dB higher than the noise floor. One microphone has a peak at
30300Hz, the other at 37900Hz.
I'm still disappointed because the frequency response of these mics
is good to more than 30 kHz and I'd like to record at 96 kHz. Of
course I can filter the recorded files.... but in any case I'm
disturbed and thus I'll try to use them phantom powered only. On
internal battery only if strictly needed.

Gianni

At 13.24 03/05/2007, you wrote:

>Some while ago I posted that one of my K6/ME66's had more noise when
>powered by internal battery than the other, as Gianni had discovered
>originally with his new K6/ME66's when compared to his older version.
>Well I returned mine to Sennheiser UK and they agree and are ordering a
>new circuit board to replace the one in the noisier K6. So I am hopeful
>that this will cure the problem. Something that came out of the
>conversation I had with the service engineer which I was not aware of
>is there are two types of K6, and no I am not talking about the
>powering options. There are 'lower' output versions of the K6 which
>have the CL suffix, these have the output reduced by 18dB! So for
>anybody considering buying a K6 just check which version you are
>getting.
>I am told it will take a couple of weeks for the replacement circuit
>board to arrive from Germany, I think the delivery company they use
>must walk here! I will post back when the 'new improved' K6 returns and
>I can do a comparison. It is a great pity it will take so long as it is
>an ideal time to record birds calling, as they arrive and start to look
>for a mate and mark their territory, oh well.
>
>Phil

>Checked by AVG Free Edition.
>02/05/2007 14.16

Gianni Pavan
Centro Interdisciplinare di Bioacustica e Ricerche Ambientali
Universita' degli Studi di Pavia, Via Taramelli 24, 27100 PAVIA, ITALIA
Phone       +39-0382-987874    Fax +39-02-700-32921
Email
Web       http://www.unipv.it/cibra
CIBRA organizes the XXI IBAC Congress, Pavia, 15-18 September 2007
http://www.unipv.it/cibra/xxi_ibac.html