Re: Parabolic Mic Question: Telinga Tips?

Subject: Re: Parabolic Mic Question: Telinga Tips?
From: "Klas Strandberg" klasstrandberg
Date: Tue May 1, 2007 5:41 am ((PDT))
I would say that Walt is right.
Adjust the mic to fit your own style and taste. First, we deal with
sound, not light, so the focus is not that critical. Second, you get
the best recordings anyway, by learning how to point at a bird, aside
or above it, or at a reflection.

Contrary to established "sayings" about mic's and parabols, -
practical tests have shown that cardioids work better. See diagram at
http://www.telinga.com/gallery/picture_gallery4.htm

But common cardioids are more sensitive to wind and handling
noise.They are also more exposed to bacterial and fungus growth
between the membrane and electrode, and thereby more risky to use,
compared to an omni.

Klas.

At 18:16 2007-04-29, you wrote:
>Posted by: "audiofilebrad"
> >
> > Hi,  does anyone know of any documentaion on using Telinga parabolic
> > dishes?  Mostly I wonder how far the mic should stick out & should I
> > remove the foam "pop" muffler?  I am also wondering if there is some
> > undisputed king of mics when it comes to recording parabolically? I am
> > currently using a Sennheiser E914.    -thanks
>
>As I remember it came with a instruction sheet, but that was long ago
>for me.
>
>Do not remove the foam from the mic. In the case of the stereo mic it's
>an array of 8 capsules, and I believe depends on the foam for
>protection. It's not intended to be removed and not necessary.
>
>Focus the mic by adjusting it in and out while listening to calls from
>your usual working distance. The exact focus is dependent on that
>distance. It will work out close to where the tip of the mic is about
>even with the opening of the dish.
>
>There is no perfect mic. There may be several mics that are good for one
>use, and not good for others. Even working within a parabolic there is
>enough variation that mic choice varies. The Telinga mics are high
>quality and it's not easy to find a practical substitute for the Telinga
>dish. Most mics are too large for easy use in that.
>
>The king of mics in general for nature recording is Sennheiser's current
>MKH series mics. There are a number of reasons for this, and not all are
>on the spec sheets. They simply have been proven by too many nature
>recordists under field conditions to suit the tasks.
>
>The Sennheiser ME series mics are also quite good for nature recording.
>
>Other brands of mics rise up in popularity from time to time, but few
>remain popular in nature recording over the long haul. With more studio
>folks getting into nature recording we are seeing a lot of mics from the
>studio being tried too.
>
>Walt
>

>"Microphones are not ears,
>Loudspeakers are not birds,