Suburban Racoon Mating Ritual/How do you post sound files to a websi

Subject: Suburban Racoon Mating Ritual/How do you post sound files to a websi
From: "geopaul7" geopaul7
Date: Tue May 1, 2007 6:50 am ((PDT))
---
Chris Hails wrote: "George, if you
> found it a challenge in (relatively) unpopulated Arizona - try the
> middle of Europe. I am very lucky - my "playground" is the hills and
> mountains of Switzerland, but I increasingly find myself looking for
> valleys and hollows sheltered from traffic rumble, farm equipment,
> BBQ-ers, aircraft (impossible!) - and now summer is here - those
> bloody cow bells !
> Then, just when you think you've got it cracked nature strikes back -

> http://cjhails.googlepages.com/roedeer

Chris:  Can you please explain how you posted that lovely recording to a we=
bsite?  Can
others weigh in?  I am embarrassed to admit I don't know how to do that.  I=
 made one
yesterday morning that is a further contribution to this conversation about=
 recording
environments-- and I would like to share it.  It has elements of similarity=
 to your being
suprised by the Roe Deer.  Often, recording environments present themselves=

unexpectedly.  Yet another reason to have the gear organized and ready to g=
o.

Sunday night I was fiddling with my gear to try to determine the source of =
the "noise" in
the system.  I therefore had my mic on the tripod, and the whole thing laid=
 out in the
bedroom.  Then, yesterday, I awoke at about 5:15 to an unidentifiable racke=
t outside my
bedroom.  Violent sounding.  Completely strange.  I could tell it would not=
 last long.

I went outside to see an unrecognizable ball of fur rolling around on the g=
round.  My two
cats were staring, with brave curiosity, and meowing.  I identified the fur=
 as two racoons.
There was x-rated activity interspersed with violent fighting, or perhaps m=
ore accurately,
vice versa.

I quickly ran in the bedroom and grabbed the gear.  I thereafter recorded, =
in stereo, what I
presume was the mating ritual of the surburban racoon.  It was a loud, gutt=
aral chattering,
much like a fight, with panting.  The ambience is a mockingbird, a mourning=
 dove, my
cats, house finches, and the sound of cars driving to work on a freeway tha=
t is about a
mile away, and about 200 feet below me in elevation.  Not a pristine enviro=
nment.  It is my
backyard at the beginning of rush hour.  However, because of the tripod, th=
ere is no
handling noise, and the animal activity is rightly placed in suburbia. I th=
ink I also lucked
out in that my airconditioning unit, which was 5 feet from the racoons, was=
 not on at the
time as it was early in the morning.  That would have ruined everything.

The chattering ended with an explosive scream rather like the snarl of a ca=
t, and then,
after a breif pause, two yelps somewhat like a coyote.  You can sense the i=
ntelligence of
the animals, at least in my mind.

After getting dressed, I openend my back door to walk to the car.  One of t=
he racoons was
at the top of my stairs, with a very raw and almost bloody neck, acting as =
if it wanted to
get in the doggy door.  I shooed it away.  And I was surprised by how injur=
ed the neck
looked, and this is the only thing that has made me doubt my original ident=
ification of this
behavior as mating.  I suppose it could have been some territorial fight wi=
th ancillary
activity thrown it.  I don't know enough about racoon behavior, or mamallia=
n behavior in
general, to know.  Any opinions out there?

I find it rather odd, like the strange "coincidences" discussed in  "What t=
he BLEEP do we
know?" and the co-creation of reality discuused in the book/film, "The Secr=
et", that the
very day after my "pontification" about prisitne recording environments, so=
mething that
has not happened during the 18 years I have lived in this house happened ri=
ght outside
my bedroom door, while I also had all my recording gear out and ready to go=
.  That is off
topic and perhaps should be in a different Message Group.  Perhaps.

Accordingly, if someone, perhaps Chris, could explain how to post sound fil=
es to a
website, I will post this one, and others.  Thanks much for sharing the Roe=
 Deer recording.

George Paul