(Roe Deer) Re: Thanks on backpacking solutions.

Subject: (Roe Deer) Re: Thanks on backpacking solutions.
From: "Chris Hails" chrishails50
Date: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:23 pm ((PDT))
--- In  "geopaul7" <>
wrote:

> The key reflection on this weekend was the profound importance of
getting to the right
> spot--the right sounding place without people noise or machine
noise.  This is why
> backpacking is important, to me at least.

In respect of this comment - and the earlier post enquiring about
Telinga's: I bought the latter in December and love it (no regrets) -
BUT having bought one of the best nature mics' in a good parabola, I
now spend a lot of time avoiding the background noise. George, if you
found it a challenge in (relatively) unpopulated Arizona - try the
middle of Europe. I am very lucky - my "playground" is the hills and
mountains of Switzerland, but I increasingly find myself looking for
valleys and hollows sheltered from traffic rumble, farm equipment,
BBQ-ers, aircraft (impossible!) - and now summer is here - those
bloody cow bells ! It's almost as though the more you solve the
equipment issues the greater the fieldcraft challenge.

Then, just when you think you've got it cracked nature strikes back -
two recent mornings this month I have been out early for some dawn-
chorusing in the woods near my house. Just when I thought I'd got the
postion right, my footfall silent, the birds relaxed, my belly under
control, I would walk upon a buck Roe Deer - they wait until you are
close then bark like the biggest dog in the world - try as hard as I
can I still feel the need to die on the spot, so I only ever get the
2nd or 3rd bark.

Two cuts found here: in the first at least there are some nice echoes
as he ran off swearing at me (apparently he got the bigger fright)
and things slowly settled down, the second simply gives a good
contrast with the local farm dogs we managed to upset between us !

But on both occasions at least I felt alive when I finally found
breakfast.

http://cjhails.googlepages.com/roedeer

(As always technical advice from experts very welcome).

Chris