Re: Parabolic Mic Question: Telinga Tips?

Subject: Re: Parabolic Mic Question: Telinga Tips?
From: "Dan Dugan" dandugan_1999
Date: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:15 am ((PDT))
audiofilebrad wrote:
>Hi,  does anyone know of any documentaion on using Telinga parabolic
>dishes?

Klas will likely speak up on that...

>  Mostly I wonder how far the mic should stick out & should I
>remove the foam "pop" muffler?

I recommend focusing a parabolic by ear. Mounting on a stand would
help. Point at a radio tuned between stations over 50' away. Focus
up-down and left-right, then move the mic in and out. You'll hear it.

>I am also wondering if there is some
>undisputed king of mics when it comes to recording parabolically? I am
>currently using a Sennheiser E914.    -thanks

That's a cardioid. The classical parabolic theory is that the
directionality comes from the dish, and an omni mic is better because
it "sees" the whole dish. Many rule-breaking arrangements are
successful, however, like Telinga's multiple capsules and stereo
array.

-Dan Dugan