Re: Any Good Cell Phones for Recording?

Subject: Re: Any Good Cell Phones for Recording?
From: "Mike Feldman" gidney_n_cloyd
Date: Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:02 pm ((PDT))
When I pointed to the JK device I was trying to be a bit
ironic.  The JK device is made for using the cell phone for
the thing that it's good at ... a phone call.  It's for sending
for example remote interview audio over a cellphone connection.

The original poster was asking about using a cellphone as a recorder.
This makes sense for situations where you have your phone but forgot
to bring your Zoom or Edirol or HHB.

My Motorola KRZR K1m (Verizon Wireless in the USA) can record using
the build-in microphone, and it records for at least 1 minute.  I don't
know if there's a limit on maximum recording length.

The K1m also takes an external headset but it's via a Mini-USB connection.
There's no USB involved, it's just local audio in/out with a small electret
mic with 2v bias.  It would be a pretty easy DIY project to use a better
capsule and battery for the mic input, but I doubt that you'll find
commercially available mics for the mini-USB connector.  Phones that
have 2.5mm or 3.5mm headset jacks are likely to work with external mics.
In fact, I think Motorola makes an adaptor for mini-USB to 3.5mm headsets.