Spring in Germany

Subject: Spring in Germany
From: "Raimund Specht" animalsounds
Date: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:15 pm ((PDT))
Dear Michael,

Thanks for your kind feedback.

It's not a reserve, but it is a quite interesting area for a location
that is so close to the city. I guess that there are about 70 species
of birds and at least 10 species of mammals that live in or visit that
area.

I have been visiting that area for about 25 years. Until about 1985,
parts of it were used as a sewage farm for cleaning domestic and
industrial waste waters:
http://www.stadtentwicklung.berlin.de/umwelt/umweltatlas/ed110_02.htm
For this reason, the soil is still contaminated with heavy metals:
http://www.stadtentwicklung.berlin.de/umwelt/umweltatlas/ed110_03.htm

Interestingly, the sewage farm usage also provided some benefits for
the nature, because those artifical wetlands were an important habitat
for migrating waders.

Regards,
Raimund