Re: Realistic PZM mods

Subject: Re: Realistic PZM mods
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:05 am ((PDT))
At 4:25 PM -0700 4/22/07, Kim Cascone wrote:
>Last year I did some location recording using my stereo lavs taped to=A0
>walls and discovered the wonders of boundary miking
>so I purchased two Realistic PZM microphones
>
>I'm mulling over all the online documentation on mod'ing these mics
>http://www.uneeda-audio.com/pzm/index.htm
>
>but they all seem to boil down to
>- converting the mic from unbalanced to balanced
>- allowing P48 to power them
>which is fine for studio applications but not idea for field recording
>
>none of the mod's seem to optimize the quality for PIP based location=A0
>recording
>i.e., utilizing the PIP to power the electret mics instead of having=A0
>an inline battery and Z matching xformer
>
>so my question is:
>- does anyone have information on how to mod these PZM's to use with
>a PIP type recording rig?

Used stock, the built-in battery will
over-ride/negate PIP with no ill effects. As
those caps work better on higher voltage, PIP
might provide lower performance.  I always wanted
to replace the caps Radio Shack uses. The
EM-158's might be a good choice. Rob D.

--
Rob Danielson
Peck School of the Arts

six media arts faculty positions in search:
http://www.uwm.edu/~type/FilmDept/Hirings/base.htm