a convoluted and hazy beginners question

Subject: a convoluted and hazy beginners question
From: "Andy Wilson" soundraider_uk
Date: Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:14 am ((PDT))
i have a question i'd like advice about.

i am not an audio engineer or even an audiophile. i have no particular
knowledge of wildlife but i love recording and creating what i guess
might be called sound art or phonography. i do not need to create
anything 'authentic' or 'natural' - just 'interesting' sound material
for manipulation.

in a few months time i will be going on a long (three week) holiday in
Norway, visiting various towns, national parks and hoping to record
there - wildlife, city life, ambiences, etc. however, i cannot take all
of the equipment i would like as i simply don't have enough luggage
space to do so (i'm hopping around by bus, train, boat and plane and
will be dragging everything behind me in a couple of bags, so i'd really
appreciate advice on how best to think about the problem - where i can
make sensible compromises. i don't want to arrive on holiday and only
then realise that I could haave had a far better time and had much more
recording fun if only i'd also packed item .X'.

i am lucky to have some reasonable equipment, including a sound Devices
702 recorder and a 302 Mixer, a Telinga Dual Science and dish, a Sure
VP88, a Rode NTG-1 and an AT825 Stereo Mic. i have played with these
various mics but am really just learning the ropes and have reached no
firm conclusions. I also have an Edirol R09 and some Soundman OKM
binaural 'headphone' mics - a nice little combination for carrying
around all day and using at moments of serendipity.

i will take the Edirol & Soundman pair whatever happens but, of the
rest, i'd like to take just enough to give me a reasonable range of
options for recording the various scenarios i'm likely to meet. In an
ideal world i'd even like to take hydrophones - i have a pair of Dolphin
Ear hydrophones but they are simply too bulky to justify taking, so I've
been looking for something small that i might trying burying in the
glacier ice.

anyway, i think the question is - if you were me, how much would you be
tempted to leave behind? my first guess what that i could probably just
take the SD702 and either the Telinga DS or the Sure VP88 and see what
happens....

--
Everybody gives lip service to the idea that people are
the most important part of a software project, but nobody

[][][] Andy Wilson        | Mob: +44 (0)7739 908 253
   [][] Managing Director  | Tel: +44 (0)20 7729 7060
[]  [] LShift Ltd         | Web: http://www.lshift.net