Re: high altitude birds

Subject: Re: high altitude birds
From: "Chris Hails" chrishails50
Date: Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:35 am ((PDT))
Thanks for posting this Greg & Abhijit, great sounds of the prayer
flags. I've never been to Tibet, but experienced the same in Bhutan.

Now, the bird is really too tough for me to be definitive I think. It
does not sound anything like the Alpine Chough noises I am familiar
with, too deep, but definitely sounds like a large Corvid, so the
money probably goes to Raven. The only other possibility would be
Jungle Crow (Corvus macrorhynchos), but I think you were high up ? So
Raven is more likely.

I find Ravens make all sorts of odd noises. To help you understand
my "purruk" description I have made a small demonstration file
of "normal" (to me !) Raven calls, followed by some gentler contact
calls - in the same vein as your recording but not exactly the same
sound; both from Europe not Asia I'm afraid. The second part of it
may sound odd as I had to fiddle with it to take out the aircraft
noise, there is also a herd of goats with bells, and the pods of a
leguminous tree bursting in the hot August Sardinian sunshine ! Not
aesthetically pleasing but hopefully it demonstrates what Ravens can
get up to. The file can be found here -

http://cjhails.googlepages.com/raven

Chris

--- In  "Greg Simmons"
<> wrote:

> Abhijit Menon-Sen has kindly placed my mp3 at the following address:
>
> http://toroid.org/misc/bird-with-prayer-flags.mp3
>
> Some points when listening:
>
> 1) I was actually recording the prayer flags blowing in the wind;
the
> bird just appeared. I am not calling this a 'bird recording'!
>
> 2) Because my microphone rig was facing the prayer flags in front of
> me and the bird was hovering overhead (sometimes you can hear it
drift
> from right to left and back again above me), the bird was 90 degrees
> off axis to the M microphone while the flags were directly on axis.
So
> the bird's amplitude is *very* soft compared to the flags.
>
> Abhijit suggests it may be a Common/Tibetan Raven, corvus corax
tibetanus...

"Microphones are not ears,
Loudspeakers are not birds,
A listening room is not nature."