Re: sound isolated earphones or closed headphones?

Subject: Re: sound isolated earphones or closed headphones?
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:09 am ((PDT))
Posted by: "Greg Weddig"

> My experience with the earbuds or any headphone for that matter is
> that they tend to get uncomfortable when wearing them for several
> hours.  When I am in the field I set my levels, listen for a few
> minutes and then take take them off to enjoy the unamplified
> soundscape.  I put them on every once in a while to make sure my
> signal is still clean.

I do quite well with the Sony MDR-V900's. I can't stand any kind of in
ear headphone for long, and ones that set on the ear hurt after a while.
The Sony fit around my ear and don't press on it while still providing
considerable isolation. About the only complaint is that they can get
warm in the Georgia heat. They do stand up to sweat better than it seems
they should.

I was even using them with the iPod while plowing the garden a few days
ago. That's several hours, most of a afternoon. Better than wearing the
sound deadening phones I usually wear. Music while I work.

As far as the sound isolating headphones I'd think that one would want
to be careful. The mic and amplifier used in these is probably pretty
low quality and may mess up some of the quiet fine details that we are
wearing headphones to hear. Anyone examined the quality of the sound
reproduction in those in any kind of detail?

If you are using sensitive mics you have to use well isolated phones, or
your mics will pick up your headphones.