Re: advice for recording in cold terrain needed!

Subject: Re: advice for recording in cold terrain needed!
From: "Rich Peet" richpeet
Date: Fri Apr 6, 2007 12:22 pm ((PDT))
Your cables should be fine at temps you mention. Canare cable has an
outside cover that is softer at cold temps than most.

sd702 is fine at this temp. I would recommend removal of the hard
drive if it were a sd722. You are approaching the max spec for
altitude and are talking of going below spec for temp of standard hard
drives. Be careful of moving while running your hard drive if you are
going to do field transfers from your flash at high altitude.  The
record heads are much more prone to hit the disk at altitude.

You may hear a few contraction pops out of your mics as they cool. You
are fine going from a warm place to a cold one but watch condensation
when moving from a cold place to a warm place.

Battery should be fine at -6C but a little shorter charge life.

Watch plastic cases and vinyl cases that you may bring to carry
equipment. This includes plastic and vinyl parts of headphones. They
break easily in very cold temps.

Dress very warm. Recordists tend to not move much when recording and
get cold easily, except for their ears due to headphones :)

Good recording.

Rich Peet