ART Phantom II (Lite)

Subject: ART Phantom II (Lite)
From: "Curt Olson" flipov411
Date: Wed Apr 4, 2007 4:12 pm ((PDT))
I recently mentioned yanking the guts out of an ART Phantom II power
supply and getting rid of its rather cumbersone metal box. Rob
Danielson prodded me for photos, so I obliged...

http://www.trackseventeen.com/images/mic_arrays/phantom_II_lite.html

Not the best pix, but then there's not much to show. I wrapped the
Phantom II circuit board in electrical tape to help protect the most
delicate components. When I removed the XLR connectors several of the
printed circuit mounting points pulled off, so I soldered my mic-input
leads to the legs of components along those same traces. I used about
6' of thin flexible Mogami mic cable for the input cables and some thin
but not-so-nice stuff leading to a mini plug (mostly because I had it
already made up in my stash of parts). Amazingly, no RFI problems so
far, despite the fact that I'm within 5-6 miles of all the major
Minneapolis/St. Paul TV towers in one direction and 5-6 miles of a 50KW
AM tower in the opposite direction.

Curt Olson

(Cross-posted to the Nature Recordists and Phonography lists.)