Re: [nature_sounds_society] Event- SF Bay Area: Fish Ears and Shrimp

Subject: Re: [nature_sounds_society] Event- SF Bay Area: Fish Ears and Shrimp
From: "Lou Judson" inaudio
Date: Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:41 pm ((PDT))
I'm CCing this to nature recordists, who may not have heard about the
talk - see the announcement at the bottom if interested, Nature
recordists!

Okay, thanks Eve. It was fun to be there and interesting in content. A
bit disturbing to hear in some detail what is being done acoustically
in our oceans! The audio samples were not of such very high quality to
make any difference between CD and MP3, though.

For Mac users, I have uploaded a 34.5 MB MP3 file to my iDisc - it is
75 minutes long, unedited. You can find it by using the finder menu GO
-> iDisc -> "other user's public folder" and type in loujudson as
username. No psssword, so don't delete it, just download it if you have
high speed access.

Is there anyone here on either list who can host it on their website
for Windows or other OS users? Sorry I don't have my own website yet...

I have requests for CDs from:
John Neville
John Hartog
Raven Simons (no mailing address, Raven! send me that.)

so anyone else wanting a CD copy write me offlist with an address. I'm
asking $5 to $10 (sliding scale, honor system) for making and mailing
the CDs; the download is free.

I suggest you all visit www.seaflow.org to get an idea of what it is
all about - it is NOT a collection of cute animal sounds (though there
are some!) but an examination of the significance of acoustics to our
marine friends in the oceans, and some of the harmful activities humans
are perpetrating. Michael is a very good speaker and a deeply committed
individual, and it is something worth hearing!

Lou Judson =95 Intuitive Audio
415-883-2689

On Mar 29, 2007, at 1:54 PM, Eve Burgess wrote:

> Thank you for your trouble. I cant wait to get a copy. I will take a
> cd if possible. you all let me know how much & where to send the
> money. thank you for this group. I have learned a lot from reading the
> posts. thank you, Eve.  I also may try to put this on my ipod or mp3
> too.

> Lou Judson <> wrote:  Just a reminder that I'll be
> recording this tonight, so I'll post
> again tomorrow about making copies for interested people who can't be
> there...
>
> Lou

Here's the original announcement:

Wednesday, March 28, 7 p.m. "Fish Ears and Shrimp Songs" Bay Model
Visitor Center, 2001 Bridgeway, Sausalito (415)332-3871

"Bio-acoustician Michael Stocker will dive into the deep and mysterious
world of ocean sound communication. Everything from barnacles and sea
urchins to whales and dolphins use sound in unusual ways. In this
lecture we will get to hear some of these amazing and sometimes bizarre
sounds, look at what produces them and discuss how these sounds may
serve as a binding force in the web of ocean life." $12/advance, $15/at
door. Refreshments will be served. For more info, including a full list
of spring speakers and registration form, visit:
http://www.spn.usace.army.mil/bmvc/speaker/speaker.html