2. Re: $1000 recorder challenge - edition 1

Subject: 2. Re: $1000 recorder challenge - edition 1
From: "Raimund Specht" animalsounds
Date: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:52 pm ((PDT))
Thanks Rob and all who made this test possible.

I believe that the "fuller and more detailed" sound produced by the SD
7xx recorder family is mainly caused by their lower high-pass (or
"low-cut") cutoff frequency. However, I think that it is usually
required to activate one of the higher SD7xx cutoff frequencies (40,
80, 160 or 240 Hz) in the field in order to reject wind and handling
noise. This is certainly required when using more directional
microphones, such as figure-of-eight or supercardioid pick-up patterns.

The bass response of a recorder is simply determined by the size of
the coupling capacitors in the analog signal paths. So, one could
improve the low-frequency response of any recorder by replacing
(increasing) those capacitors.

In any case, there are of course a lot of other valuable features in
the SD7xx series recorders that are not available in the less
expensive units...

Reagrds,
Raimund